Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Escalator etiquette

Yes, there is such thing.


Encountered this first in Singapore (although you stand left and walk right there) and it's really not difficult to understand the discipline behind this. Putting order in things is always a great idea.

I had the chance to roam around Ayala again yesterday, after a long time. I enjoyed riding the MRT from GMA-Kamuning to Ayala at 4:30pm and although I thought it's gonna be rush hour, the ride was smooth. Unfortunately, there are no photos of this trip as I am not brave enough to do a selfie or capture a photo in public transportation. And so I took the escalator going up to the exit of Ayala terminal, and before riding it, a clear instruction says WALK on your left and STAND on your right.
Amazing how people disregard this as everyone is occupying the entire escalator in their own mini space.

DISCIPLINE.  It is the lack of it that hinders a person's growth, and in our case, the nation's. I guess it's not a voluntary defiance but the lack of respect to rules, regulations, laws and the like. Why do we feel so entitled to disregard the rules and get away with it? And yes, we only do it in the Philippines because I've been to a few countries with strict standards and Filipinos following it to the heart. Bakit pwede at kayang sumunod sa ibang bansa? Colonial mentality teh? Di ba dapat mas ginagawa natin ang nakakabuti para sa ating bansa?

The issue is beyond the escalator etiquette. Baka isipin niyo naman na OA ako.  If we cannot follow a simple rule to keep things in order, then how can we expect a bigger change in our society? Take a step to change one's self first and see where the escalator of progress will take you.

Kudos by the way for SM for coming up with this witty video:


Let's educate ourselves people, start small, achieve big results.

Psalm 32:8


I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.